July 27, 2012

it was grey and rainy and green

Paris makes for a wonderful escape, but you already know that. I left Zach in Zürich and made the jaunt solo. I visited with my friend Tala at night and spent the days wandering around the city eating bread and pastries. My when-in-Paris attitude led me to a lot of pastry shops and a lot of delicious food. Generally if I saw a line outside a boulangerie or patisserie I waited, eyed what the people ahead of me ordered, and ordered the same thing. At one point I think I had two baguettes in my purse, both with ends missing, seven madeleines and four financiers.

This photo is my favorite. I think it captures the I'll-have-what-your-having theme perfectly.


Here are the highlights, and yes, I know, they are mostly food related.

- blé sucré really does make the best Madeleines 
- You can make them by following along with pastry chef Fabrice Le Bourdat
- Take note that there is 410g of butter in only 24 Madeleines. Wow. 
- If that seems excessive follow this recipe - It was inspired by the real thing, but only uses 120g

- I surprised myself here by trying foie gras mousse with rhubarb and strawberry and loving it. 
- My friend Tala bought Frenchie's new cookbook and had him sign it. Now I just need her to translate the recipe for the chocolate pot de creme with passion fruit and caramel. 

- This chocolate eclair made the torrential rain feel like a summer sprinkle. 
- When I wasn't eating eclairs to escape the rain, I hunkered down with a syphon coffee at Coutume Cafe and an espresso and a borrowed book at Merce and the Muse

- We ate an amazingly satisfying lunch at Cafe de la Croix-Rouge. Poilane bread, toasted and buttered, topped with thinly sliced roast beef and served with a side salad - tartine heaven.

- Verjus wine bar has a killer bar menu - there's nothing like tucking into a cave-like spot for some buttermilk fried chicken after wandering around eating Madeleines in the rain. 

- The Luxembourg Gardens - likely Zach's favorite spot in Paris and I can see why.


6 comments:

  1. Lovely photos as usual, Talley. You're so good at capturing the beauty of dark, grey days. Sounds like you had a wonderful trip. I don't know when I'm going to get to go to Paris (the closest I got last year was the CDG airport, and very soon, it's going to be Berlin and not Paris), but I'm definitely all for your friend translating that pot de creme recipe for you--though chocolate isn't always my thing, chocolate and passion fruit is magic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to second Katie by saying these are some lovely photos. I've never been to Paris (sigh), but I think I would like it grey and rainy. Or maybe I've just seen Midnight in Paris one too many times. Also, I have to say, I loved that hemingway-esque title of your post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talley, I've said it before, but I am so envious of your access to such wonderful escapes! Grey and rainy Paris looks and sounds heavenly. Love the image of the food in your purse. Take a photo next time please. I am escaping to NYC with my sister in a few weekends... can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha - Talley, I was composing my comment in my head and then read Ali's... and mine was going to be the same. I'll say it again as I've said it before... I am jealous of your life abroad! Paris. Joy! I adore that city.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous, I love these. Paris is so beautiful, one day I will get there :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the photos! My husband and I had an AMAZING meal at Frenchie's a couple of years ago, and now that I know he's got a cookbook, I must have it!

    ReplyDelete